Experienced, certified and published IT professional with over 20 years of entrepreneurial and corporate experience. Experienced manager of design, upgrade, migration and implementation projects. Highly effective troubleshooter with a great deal of success in leading support teams via mentoring, documentation, communication and strong leadership skills.
Experience and Certification
SCSA - Sun Microsystems Sun Certified System Administrator Passed Solaris System Administrator Exams Parts I and II.
MCSE - Microsoft Certified System Engineer and Microsoft Certified Internet Information Specialist - Passed Microsoft Certification Exams on Windows 95, Windows NT Server 4.0 (Server and Enterprise), Networking Essentials, Windows NT Server 3.51, Internet Information Server 3.0 and Index Server 1.1 and TCP/IP for Windows NT 4.0. Experienced Exchange 6.0 administrator.
Over 15 years of experience as an IT Engineer and System Architect on a wide variety of operating systems and hardware including Sun Microsystems Solaris, SGI IRIX,IBM AIX, DEC UNIX, Compaq Tru64, Hewlett Packard HP-UX, RedHat Linux and Microsoft NT/Win2K Server.
Experienced in the creation of custom UNIX shell, Perl, AWK and SQL scripting, disk management with LVM, Soltice and Veritas and load balancing with F5. Experienced installing and supporting enterprise back-up solutions such as HP Omniback, Veritas Netbackup and Legato, clustering software such as MC/ServiceGuard, Oracle Parallel Server (OPS), Linux Beowulf Clusters and performance and diagnostic tools such as OpenView, GlancePlus, STM, sar, BMC Patrol and Q4. Experienced in the hardware installation and support of UNIX-based server systems such as Sun's Netra and Fire series, HP's HP9000 L and N classes and Compaq's Alphaserver line. Experienced with network routing and firewall products from Cisco, Nokia and Bay Networks. Experienced with network security applications such as CA SnifferPro, Nokia Checkpoint and Linux-based open source applications.
Graduate of Microsoft Online Institute courses for Windows 95, Windows NT Workstation 3.51 and 4.0, Windows NT Server 3.51 and 4.0, Networking Essentials, Internet Information Server 3.0 and Index Server 1.1 and TCP/IP for Windows NT 4.0.
of Sun Microsystems Java Tutor
Educational Programs for Solaris System Administrator Parts 1 and 2 and
Solaris Network Administrator. Graduate of Dale Carnegie
Corporation Public Speaking and Sales courses. Attended
Producer and host of Technically News, a syndicated radio news program for information technology professionals.
· • "Surviving the High Tech Interview" article for Microsoft Certified Professional Magazine.
· • "Sun Certified System Administrator for Solaris 8 Study Guide" book published by McGraw-Hill, ISBN:0072123699
· • "Hack-Proofing Solaris" book published by McGraw-Hill, ISBN:192899444X
· • "RHCE Red Hat Certified Engineer Study Guide" book published by McGraw-Hill, ISBN:0072121556
· • "Optimizing Networks with SnifferPro" book published by McGraw-Hill, ISBN:1-931836-57-4.
· • "How to be Anti-Social: Preventing Social Engineering Hack Attacks" Whitepaper published by Syngress Media, Feb. '02
· • "New Security Features in Solaris 9" Whitepaper published by Syngress Media, June '02.
· • "Sun Certified System Administrator for Solaris 9 Study Guide" book published by McGraw-Hill, ISBN:007222598x
Oct 2011 to present: TekSystems - Sr Project Manager Providing UNIX/Linux technical support for production/test systems and decommissioning of older systems for hardware refresh. Track decommission deliverables, work with hardware owners and coordinate remote powerdowns with onsite resources. Worked on wide variety of servers including Sun Fire E25K, T2000, Netra and Blades. Also, IBM Blade Center, x3760 and IBM Power 720 servers. ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
Oct 2007 to Oct 2011: PlanIT Technology Group – Sr UNIX Engineer
Providing technical support, architectural design and project management for UNIX/Linux systems for wide variety of customers.
· Managed project for redesign and migration of production services from EMC IP4700 to EMC NS22 NAS.
· Managed migration of HP-UX development and production servers to new datacenter. Move was completed well under schedule, with minimum downtime and no loss of data.
July 2006 to Oct 2007: Circuit City, INC. - Manager SUN/Linux Support
Managed team providing hardware/software support for
Did architectural design, capacity planning and
load testing on several dozen high-end Sun servers including T2000s,
· Designed solution and managed team responsible for testing and installing improved version of Linux-based, point-of-sale systems for over 1600 retail locations.
April 2003 to July 2006: BayMountain, INC. - Engineering Manager
Provided clients with consultative design services for network, system and application tuning and upgrades. Managed team providing 24/7 oncall support for a wide variety of systems in a managed hosting environment. Provided 3rd Tier level support for UNIX, Linux and Windows server systems. Managed teams responsible for installation, performance tuning, documentation and monitoring as well as operational support for the datacenter.
· • Wrote customized shell scripts to provide secure backups for client's servers to NAS.
· • Participated in architectural design, capacity planning, buildout and migration of data center to new facility. Managed the migration of client's servers with no unplanned downtime and no loss of data.
· • Project Manager for all new client installations. Worked with Sales Team to design technical solutions for prospective clients, managed budgets and timelines, worked on all areas of installation into data center and worked directly with clients before and after to insure all goals were met.
July 2002 to April 2003: MSD, INC - Sr. UNIX SysAdmin
Redesigned database services and
managed migration project to new systems. Provided 24/7 oncall system and
database support for UNIX servers running Oracle 8.1.7 for e-commerce services.
Provided performance monitoring and tuning services using sar, Perfman, Big Brother
and custom shell scripts. Supported back-up of data using
· • Designed procedures, tested/configured software and provided documentation for monthly capacity planning, performance monitoring and forecasting reports. This provided more accurate planning for upgrades and maintenance of production servers.
· • Wrote customized shell scripts used to provide additional monitoring of production servers. These scripts provided pager alerts when conditions needed attention resulting in faster response to problems and improved services to clients.
· • Delivered monthly capacity planning and performance monitoring reports in departmental meetings providing recommendations for upgrades, cost analysis and in-depth Q&A sessions.
April 1999 to June 2002: Sapphire Technology - Sr. UNIX SysAdmin
Provided 24/7 oncall system,
application and network support for Solaris and HP-UX UNIX servers and MVS
mainframes in production and development environments. Responsible
for application support for Sybase, SAS, Fluent, Ansys,
Sendmail, Bind, Apache, Webmin
and Oracle. Responsible for disk management using
Solstice, Veritas and LVM. Responsible
for backups using Veritas Netbackup,
Omniback, Legato and
· • (PMUSA) Upgraded production and development systems from HP G70 servers to HP 9000 L and N class servers. Responsible for change control, purchasing, installation, testing, documentation and migration of applications into production. These systems ran Oracle, were clustered using MC/ServiceGuard and were mission critical.
· • (PMUSA) Designed NT/UNIX integration solution using SAMBA and Webmin for network support staff and new monitoring/alerting solution resulting in 2/3 faster response to production issues.
· • (Cisco Systems) Designed, built and supported training facility using Solaris Ultra 20 workstations, Solaris Fire and Netra servers and Cisco 2500 and 3600 series routers. Wrote and conducted 3rd tier level training on Solaris and Cisco products for Cisco internal and client's support staff.
April 1997 to April 1999: Renaissance Worldwide - Sr UNIX/NT SysAdmin
Provided installation and support for Solaris, Linux, NT 4.0 and Exchange E-mail services, Cisco routers, Nokia firewalls and Solaris-based gateways for network with over 500 locations and 15,000 user accounts. Assisted in the hiring of support staff. Wrote and conducted MCSE and Solaris training.
· • (AMF Worldwide) Moved file and print services from NT to Solaris systems, maintaining integration with Windows-based desktops using SAMBA.
· • (AMF Worldwide) Designed and supported WAN which served 15,000 users in 500 foreign and domestic offices.
· • (Va Dept. of Transportation) Upgraded e-mail services from Exchange 4.0 to Exchange 5.5.
· • (AMF Worlwide) Replaced Microsoft Proxy Server with Solaris server running Squid proxy application.
· • (AMF Worldwide) Redesigned NOC to improve physical security, upgraded UPS, AC and fire suppression systems.
Oct 1995 to April 1997: Productivity Point - Educational Coordinator
Responsible for writing customized courseware on wide variety of applications and platforms from end-user level to certification exam preparation classes. Assisted in the installation and support of classroom workstations and servers and internal network running on Cisco, NT and HP-UX UNIX.
· • Assisted in migration from Novell to NT and HP-UX based network services.
• Wrote end-user manual for
1993 to 1995: Global Information Resources - Owner
Provided advertising agency clients with demographic research and consulting services for hardware/software purchases. Provided support for Solaris, SCO and Windows platforms.
· • Provided clients with weekly report on market trends, news on competition and ways to cut costs of information technology services.
· • Designed and installed WAN using Solaris X86 servers for file and print services and Windows-based remote sales offices.
· • Migrated clients from Microsoft DNS and Exchange services to open source Linux-based solution.
1989 to 1993:
Responsible for the sales and production of radio commercials.
Won Ad Club of
1988 to 1989: Dale Carnegie Corporation - Management Consultant
Designed and conducted management and sales training.
1985 to 1988: The Steele Agency - Security Consultant
Provided consulting and training services for loss prevention, employee theft and personal protection.
1981 to 1985:
Received 3 meritorious promotions, Good Conduct Medal and
Special Commendation from